View Single Post
Old 21-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Master
TheDivine - Absolutely.

And i will add, after looking it up, the disparity between common dictionary definition;

deviant -
–adjective 1. deviating or departing from the norm; characterized by deviation: deviant social behavior.

–noun 2. a person or thing that deviates or departs markedly from the accepted norm.

and from (one of the) sociological defintions;

deviance - behaviour, beliefs, or characteristics that are likely to generate a negative reaction in others.

Again, how it was taught in the class. Actually why i brought up the question of why does deviance have to be looked at as purely negative, as i mentioned in my first or second post, i think is a fair question also.

I would like to say, as a sidenote, that the deviance class was very engaging, and dealt some really good questions surrounding the ideas of how we define what is acceptable in society or not, and all the many implications of that, and many different ways to approach the question. Maybe it had a lot to do with my professor, but highly recommend this course for anyone that may be interested.

Peace!