View Single Post
Old 25-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I've heard what is refered to as hip hop since Blondies 'men from mars' and the Grand Master Flash, but all I'm give me a mic and I can rap, but I don't because I can actually sing.

Give him a mic and ask him to sing... coz any singer can rap (as can most anyone) and it has to be admitted to sing is far more intricate with melody, breath, poise, breath and control than speaking rhythmically.

My refined ear is how I can tell the contrived from the substantial... and I watched the entire evolution of rap while video killed the radio star

Whoa! Hold the microphone there! I highly disagree with you that "anyone or any singer can rap". Well maybe they can, but they wont sound polished or professional or of a high quality. Same goes for singing, anyone can sing but not all can sound of a high quality. Good rapping takes skill, talent and breath control like any good singing does. Not only that, but rapping is also about improvisation. Many of the live rapping contests (I believe they are called "smackdowns") are about thinking up new rhyming lyrics on the fly as you go along which takes talent. I remember every white guy and their brother criticizing rap when it came out as talentless and ****. They obviously had no idea whatsoever what they were talking about.

How the heck did you come to your conclusions about this?