View Single Post
Old 25-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music?

You started a most interesting thread! Art forms that express the negative part of our existence have been with us well before "Metal and Dark Music". The music of which you speak is merely the latest incarnation of that. Before that we had "the blues" which expressed the suffering of the soul. In 1914, we had "the rite of spring" which was a classical music piece describing a human sacrifice ritual in spring for a bountiful fall harvest. It goes on and on.

Who is to say Black Sabbath's title track and album "Black Sabbath" which describes a satanic human sacrifice ritual is any more abhorrent than Stravinsky's rite of spring?

Likewise, Iron Maiden did a "blues number" in their own way. "Run to the Hills" graphically describes the Native Americans under attack by colonist forces.

I think the trick is to enjoy it for the artistic value of what you are listening to when it comes to "dark music" instead of allowing it to dictate your mood and emotions.

Quote:
I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions.

Spirited

Im happy to hear this. The more spiritual I became the more I started branching out to other "lighter forms" of music as well (I however did always like "light" music from the rockers). However, I do not feel that intense, hard driving music is all "dark". Jimi Hendrix comes to mind. Most of his lyrics are social commentary, sexual, spiritual and a few (which by the way get all the attention) on mind expanding substances. Nothing negative about that. His guitar work was and always will be the best most innovative stuff.

Iggy Pop & the Stooges also come to mind. That was hard driving stuff that wasnt necessarily dark. I still love to rock out and feel that rocking out was and is a most spiritual experience for me.