View Single Post
Old 18-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
It's true that to many of us not all family members are like family at all, but still that doesn't mean friends can be concidered family because there's a clear difference between the two that can't be compared. I've personally witnessed great family-like friendships that lasted for very long periods only to be over in a whim because of something silly. From my perspective, close family members NEED you and give you a reason to live. Friends don't, because they have their own lives and don't need you. Rather, they merely tolerate you in their lives because they like to hang out with you. But in the end you aren't needed by them, and they certainly aren't something worth living for if you have no family left of your own.

just my thoughts.

I disagree completely and wholeheartedly with this post on many levels. I have friends that I have grown up with that if something happened where I needed their help, they would be out there in a heartbeat.

I also disagree in part that close family members need you and give you a reason to live. Yes they can and do need you but they don't give me a reason to live...I provide myself with a reason to live. Young dependent children that are your sons and daughters are the exception as they depend on you to live. As far as husbands and wives are concerned, in a healthy relationship, they provide INSPIRATION to live, not a reason to live....big difference.

As far as friends not "needing" me, I prefer to NOT have "needy" friends and avoid that at all costs. Needy clingy friends leads to a negative co-dependent entanglement that is bad for all parties involved. That said, I WILL come to the aid of a friend in need and many times if need be e.g. during the death of a loved one, divorce or some other major traumatic event... but for day in day out or even weekly pity party "woe is me" sessions that are general in nature and unrelated to some traumatic event, NO WAY...thats what professional counselors and therapists are for.