View Single Post
Old 22-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird21
I gotta say, I've been here since 2012 and have NEVER experienced this kind of judgement and lack of kindness here on SF as I have in some of these responses..... I appreciate the responses I got that were actually thoughtful, constructive, and helpful. This was also my very first post in the Buddhism forum and it will be my last.

That's the problem in the Buddhist section, but some don't seem to understand the most basic elements of practice: self-awareness, equanimity, and loving kindness (which is how to be a decent bloke). I suppose it could be possible that people frequent here because they might need to learn. I have sat with some very advanced people in my time, and you'd be surprised how many have overlooked the basic things. I don't anything about Vajrayana or what it teaches, but I do know about power dynamics in relationships, and ethics such as informed consent, coercion, reliance, self-determination, as I mentioned - which isn't even a Buddhist teaching hahaha.

Quote:
try to come off as if they know more than others,

That is the heart of the issue, but I have tried to explain to people here how using knowledge to dominate works, but it does no good. I mean the 'teller' isn't typically an adept listener now is he?

You said earlier on that "he simply listens to me...", and to me that's the main quality of spiritual teaching. I have a saying which goes, "The truth is in the listening" (I'm kinda zennish like that).