View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Newbie ;)

Cardomom Spiced Pancakes With Homemade Date Jam

This recipe sounds delicious! I unfortunately failed at making it last time because it got stuck to the pan (my bad, not enough oil I think) but the taste was good!

Serves 3-4 (yields 8 large pancakes)

1 cup of wholewheat pastry flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 heaping tsp of baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 a banana
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp agave nectar or brown sugar
1 tbsp coconut oil – melted
1 1/2 cups of soy milk
1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp of ground flaxseed mixed with 2-3 tbsp warm water and left aside to gel)
Combine the flours, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
Either blend or combine the wet ingredients (vanilla essence, coconut oil, soy milk and flax egg and agave nectar) with the banana (you can mash it well if you don’t want to use a blender). Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Add additional soy milk if the batter is looking too thick.
Add the batter in 1/4 cup increments to a greased pan or griddle on low-medium heat. As always, flip once the edges are set and little bubbles start to form.

Date Jam

1/2 cup soft pitted dates
pinch of sea salt and cinnamon
2 tbsp water
Soak dates in warm water for 5 minutes then drain, reserving some water for blending. To a small food processor add the dates, sea salt, cinnamon and 1 tbsp of water. Pulse until you get the desired consistency, adding more water as you go along.
For a processor free method, soak the dates a little longer so that they are very pliable (10 minutes or so) and chop finely. Mix with other ingredients and mash together with a fork.