View Single Post
Old 15-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Trauma, addiction involves psychological memories of the past , which when associated with thought results in cravings and aversions.

If Nisargadatta was having a craving for anything, it would imply vasanas and psychological memories which implies unconsciousness and unenlightenment.

I have been with enlightened masters and have understood this phenomenon to a certain extent. So I could understand that Nisarg was enlightened, and hence had no vasanas and resultant cravings/aversions which really is the ego. Enlightened masters do have their personality quirks, though.

Shirdi Sai Baba slept in a wooden log 6 feet above the ground tied to the ceiling with old clothes. No one ever understood why he slept like thus. He could be rough and abusive at times to conditioned people.

Ramakrishna went into samadhi at odd times, like when seeing a pack of swans flying or upon seeing a schoolboy which reminded him of Krishna in the street.

An enlightened master named Devamrita enjoys art cinema and playing with snakes he finds on the ground.

Nisargadatta himself would hurl abuses at anyone in his satsang whom he felt to be not serious and tell them to leave the place.

Bodhidharma had his share of queer actions.

So there was and will be eccentricities, but it is important to look at the teachings which the master teaches and not at his or her personality.

Most enlightened one's do not venture to teach. It is only those who have past impressions of compassion and are articulate that venture to teach, and this is really a few.

He smoked, but is not an addict as some have passed judgement over here based on their conditioning. I have given ample reasons for this.

He enjoyed smoking and smoked. The fact that an illiterate person like him could give deep teachings on nondualist philosophy (without any scholarly background) that have had great influence all over the world, shows that he speaks from his intuitive wisdom and not from mere book learning.

doesn't really matter in my view who said what about behaviour having anything to do with enlightement. everything is much easier and desires are dissolved due to the power of bliss and silence. that is without question a fact. for those whom experince it. but since it isn't the only thing being experinced by the individual while alive and in a body other things are enjoyed. such as smoking, eating, sex, and whatever else. even though the base of the experience. the domiant aspect of the experince supersedes and out powers the rest.

with my opinions stated though. it is also a fact that not everybody becomes addicted to nicotine. my mom whom has nothing much to do with spiritual stuff has smoked when ever she felt like it. and not smoked when she didnt. never can recall anytime she had an addiction. so i see it as totally plausible for someone to not become addicted. i think its ridiculiois concern but for those whom it isn't. i share that.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4