View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
There are two main ways of learning meditation for beginners.

One way are the 'one focus' methods, pick something and focus only on that (candle, breath, spot on the wall, whatever). The idea is to reduce the number of things going on to one. When you get to the last item, let that go.

The other method is the no focus method which more or less bypasses the intermediate state of one focus. One starts by just being (quit, still) without any focus. If a focus is noticed, reset to no focus. This is in theory more direct, however beginners usually have too much trouble not focusing and end up in a counter productive state of focusing on 'not focusing'.

I am a fan of the 'watch your thoughts method' (no focus). One simply gets comfortable and notices whatever comes up. When something does come up (thought, mind chatter, emotion, physical discomfort), label is as such, then do nothing about it. Return to watching for the next thing that comes up. If you miss a few things, as happens, don't worry about, just continue to be as vigilant as possible. I know it seems nothing will happen because you aren't doing anything about what comes up, I assure you that over time less stuff will come up. Eventually, even 'you' might not come up.

Pick whatever works best for you. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter which as eventually you will have no need of either 'method', you will be able to simply drop into a meditative state at will.

I attempted the no focus method, but I kept holding my breath while trying it, for some reason. As soon as I'd take a breath in, my focus would immediately shift to my breath. Am I doing it wrong?