View Single Post
Old 25-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Pathfinder

To the OP: Do anything that empowers you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Psychosis comes from a split in the psyche IMO and the self is crying out for integrity.
I don't have schizophrenia itself but have been diagnosed with something that falls into similar category, could say there's truth to what you said.

I recall my mental health (usually) got a lot worse when I felt I had to force myself into defining myself as how cultural roots and social norms see acceptable, although this was also a way to ensure my safety because during those times getting bullied daily was getting out of hand and nobody could support me handling it. It was easier for authorities and even family to dismiss it although legally they'd have had responsibility to intervene. So I took as radical measures as dismissal of my own truth/self-sacrifice to survive. Partly also self-hate came in because I couldn't follow my certain (probably a bit idealised?) goals for health reasons, so I just mulled in the past and obsessed over avenging everyone who dared to bully me.
However everytime I started believing in my... even impossible goals of life, my mental health got better but sometimes I ended up being too optimistic, which also made me kind of blind and ungrounded. Toxic relationships are a big "No!".
From experience I'd say believing in oneself and their own sense of reality combined with common healthy habits of life (such as exercise, food, relaxation, goal-oriented thinking) are helpful.

Also although I prefer thinking fictional people =/= real life role models, sometimes taking inspiration from movies for example isn't completely a harmful thing. I like movies based on Marvel and DC comics because those characters break male/female stereotypes; some powerful men are sensitive and even mystics while some powerful women are fierce and brutal warriors, but some that are more sterotypical also exist in those universes. Those stereotypes are linked to cultural roots, one thing if imposed on a person can cause mental health issues. I bet I'm not the only person unwilling to conform to those traditional norms. Schizophrenics can usually have pretty colorful and vivid imaginations, why not let it empower us with detachment and common sense?

I don't know if sharing the experience would help the OP or anyone suffering from similar illnesses to schizophrenia but if it does, win/win..?