View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 AM
hawkmoth65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiel
This is one of the most incredible beliefs that I have ever been aware of in my life! The belief that God has construted a place called " Hell", and that he will place unbelievers into this place of torture, and torture them for all of eternity- alive and conscious- with no end. A simply stunning belief that is literally shocking in its acceptence of many people into their belief system.

I mean it is simply a gruesome attack on the integrity of God himself; on rational thinking, and on the reality of Gods mercy, and even on the saneness of God himself. Because anyone who would torture anybody for an eternity, would themselves have to be insane! And there is no way around that.

So why are so many religions actually believing this illrational belief? Why has this whole business of " Hell" implanted itself so deeply into the human physce?

And I wanted to examine this most unusual phenom.
The 'Hell issue' tends to form the basis of atheist's arguments against the existance of God.That a kind and benevolent God would not wish to punish sinners with eternal torture,therefore in the mind of an atheist,give cause to question God's existance entirely.