View Single Post
Old 18-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Give me a math problem or listen to my sister's tangential way of story telling and you will see my eyes cross.
But, the fact that nothing i see with these eyes is real...or a particle
is also a wave...very easy for my abstract brain.

Still Waters...Brooklyn? hot today ? LOL!

Yes, Still Waters is in Brooklyn, New York (), and it's been very hot here with a high of almost 90 expected today. Fortunately, I can deal with heat reasonably well.

As for me, I was a Phi Beta Kappa in mathematics and computer science with a long career in computer software development, consulting, and marketing. However, in my spare time, I gave back to society by doing lots of volunteer work and actually got a Master's degree in clinical social work after which I worked for a few years as a caseworker/supervisor in Adult Protective Services and Child Preventive Services. It surprised the faculty that someone with a logical mathematical mind could get straight A's in the psychological intuitive processes associated with clinical work.

My spiritual mentor helped to knock me out of the exclusively cognitive, problem-solving approach to life and, eventually, to go past the metaphorical "cloud of unknowing" into the intuitive. It was very difficult initially to leave behind the intellectual and surrender to that which lies beyond. What made it happen was, of course, my teacher's direction but primarily because I discovered through direct experience that the pure intuition (of the Big Picture) was clearly more reliable than the logic on which I was previously dependent (and very proud). Faith transformed into confidence into trust and ultimately into surrender to that which lies beyond it all.

Having said that, "Still Waters" can still engage in intellectual discourse with the intellectuals to validate that there are no contradictions between my understanding of the Reality and science (wave/particle theory as you referenced in your post), psychology, metaphysical research, and traditional religions including what many consider to be the "miraculous". This "Journey without Distance" (ACIM terminology, as I am sure you will recognize based on your background) has truly been awesome and illuminating. Based on my experience with my spiritual mentor, Still Waters can also shake others in Zen-like fashion out of the intellectualism that can only take one so far. As the Sufi Master Pir Vilayat Khan once said, "The ego (and, by implication, the intellectual) is very important ..... until it is no longer needed".

P.S. If you have not read "The Message In Our Time" by Pir Vilayat Khan about his father, Hazrat Inayat Khan, you might want to explore it as it approaches spirituality from both the abstract and the logical/scientific. It's an interesting blend. I studied under Pir Vilayat Khan many years ago and it was an incredible experience even though he was not my primary spiritual guide.

http://www.omegapub.com/?page_id=180