View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Master
The non-orthodox are stumbling just as all other Western traditions are stumbling...and for the same reasons...lack of discussion of spirit-informed ethics centred in authentic love. And lack of some clear, concrete commentary and situational examples to provide some guidance and a deeper practical understanding of what this all means day-to-day in how we treat one another.

LOL @Buddhism...I think that's a Westerner's understanding based in a Western context. Certainly in traditional centres of Buddhist practice, there certainly is a lot of practical and concrete commentary and guidance on what is generally and specifically considered to be right-aligned. But in the West, it's much the same everywhere for the non-orthodox practitioners, or even for the orthodox ones, hahaha...again, wherever this concrete, practical guidance is lacking.

Again, though, I think you may be falling into the either/or thinking that modern society tends to encourage. I don't think there is one right way (orthodoxy), but I do think there are ways that are more right-aligned and ways that miss the mark or are less right-aligned. With Spirit, self, and others. In any particular time and place, it is incumbent upon humanity to decide for themselves what is good, or right-aligned and what is not or what misses the mark. The orthodox don't have the only way, but it is incumbent upon us all to take universal laws and interpret them in our own time and place. Interpretation of universal laws is fluid, not fixed. It requires engagement and ownership by all humanity for all humanity, starting with oneself.

And I believe that the primary reason for any spiritual tradition is to guide us in right-alignment with Spirit, self, and others, from within a context of authentic love. Concrete examples and discussion for living in right alignment, for purposes of guidance and understanding, are critical for most if not all. I personally see very little need for spiritual traditions of any kind if not for this richly engaged, communal interpretation of universal law. We can discover meditation and freeform or wordless prayer on our own and largely always have done.

There is always a range of perspectives regarding commentary and guidance in Judaism (and in Buddhism, BTW), and that's desirable else you fall back into orthodoxy -- but if you fail to have the discussion then you stumble. I am not orthodox BTW, and currently I am barely observant at all in the usual sense -- though I have my moments. Frankly I find it difficult to support traditions that lack the courage to speak up in the name of love, and I'm deeply disappointed in non-orthodox Judaism, with its longstanding ethical tradition. There has always been a spectrum of observance and differences in interpretations amongst Jews. We are here to stay, that's for sure. But Judaism is already long overdue in the modern era to take on this challenge in the non-orthodox realm. I see that all but the most extreme our Western spiritual traditions have been rendered mute or inert -- largely due to the same hubris, hypocrisy, addictions, and amorality of their congregants, whom the rabbis cannot guide in truth without running smack up against their congregants' hubris, their addictions, and their amorality. And the same is true of every other Western spiritual tradition. Freed of these shackles, there is much they could say or do.

We stumble not because it's either (orthodox living) or (amorality), but simply because we fail to engage in constructing a life to be lived and shared in alignment with Spirit. Not because it's somehow not possible to live in alignment with Spirit without any particular strict, orthodox rules interpreted as of some time and place...no, that's not the reason we stumble. Because, of course, under whatever tradition, ALL universal laws will need particular interpretation for EVERY particular time and place. Orthodox followers of any tradition have their particular answer for their particular needs, but it's not the universal answer for everyone. Their way is not the only WAY, even if they don't seem to stumble and the rest of us do.

We stumble NOT because our way is inherently misaligned but only because it not consciously ALIGNED. We stumble simply because 1) we fail to even try to imagine or strive for a live in alignment with Spirit. We fail to even have the discussion, because we cannot bear to admit that we still are in need of growth, maturity, change, and a fuller and more generous heart and more authentically loving, kind, and respectful ways toward self and others. And 2) we stumble when we do realise our need for alignment but then repeatedly ignore, reject or undermine our own progress on our own path -- or that of others. Because we lack discipline, we sell our integrity, we are in service to self, and because we are addicted to whatever it is that we demand and must have up front in our relationships, all else be damned. Only with humility, honesty, acceptance, and authentic love can we admit who and where we are in this moment, so that we may re-orient ourselves toward Spirit in all other moments.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke