View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Guide

7luminaries, I think you hit on a main stumbling block for all religions who attempt to 'walk the earth'

As soon as religion creates creeds or commandments on daily living and earth-concern cirumstances --- marriage, division of property, work norms, politics -- this opens the door to doctrinal robotics and distraction from 'spirit focus'.

I would point out though for the most orthodox and sincere of Jews, they do not see such a dichotomy between right living and spiritiual perspectives. The true sainted are those who can walk the earth in the spiritual light. But as the main religions want to bring along the whole populace (whose spiritual light will vary) things get codified and lose their flexible life. Or in the vernacular, "where the rubber meets the road it gets messy"

A religion like Buddhism, or the more 'draw away and meditate' have less of this stumbling block, because they do not place continuous demands for the average adherent.... just maybe that hour or so when they 'leave it all behidn' a brief moment to go meditate or something.

the notion that 'spiritual' and 'day to day' are separate ways of living is a relatively modern mental construct, and I don't know that Judaism adheres to that construct as their religion has also always been tied to ethnic identity, raising of generations and walking the earth.