Thread: King Ravana
View Single Post
Old 31-12-2020, 05:33 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
I guess there are different versions…
In the version I read, Sita says something like, "If I am innocent, may I be swallowed by the earth I was born from" (her father found her, a golden baby born from a plough track in a field, hence the name Sita - plough) and the ground opens and takes her back again.

They say Tulsidas (who wrote the most famous Hindi version) gave her a happy ending, because every time he tried to write her separated from Rama again, he would just cry and cry and cry and he couldn't make himself write anymore.

I haven't read Adbhuta Ramayana yet, but I recently heard that this is the story where the image of Shiva beneath Kali's feet came from, that Sita is this Kali. So, iirc, what happens is Rama defeats one demon, only to be killed by another, at which point Sita assumes a wrathful, dark, naked form and she takes the demon's heads, then she dances so wildly that the devas worry the world will be destroyed. Shiva throws himself beneath Sita's feet, but she remains angry and destructive until her husband is revived.