View Single Post
Old 19-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
I enjoyed reading this (the most recent post) Gem.

I feel that I myself have a strong desire for pleasure and aversion to suffering, and your post actually helps me see that more clearly.

For me personally, my greatest craving is for LOVE.

Is that different from other craving (for pleasure)?

Does Buddhism treat the desire for love or approval in the same way it treats the craving for pleasure?

Can the same approach be used? Does the Eightfold Path help with that?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Well, no one wants pain, and everyone wants pleasure, but the truth is life experience has both.

Because the meditator has practiced equanimity and become strong and stable in mindful balance, they are not easily disturbed anymore and can remain still during quite extreme experiences, so the old 'contents' which led to shame and unworthy feelings start to come up in their own time at their own rate like 'emotional storms', but you remain still and unaffected, just knowing, this is a storm which is now passing.

The practice itself always remains the same: Be perfectly still in yourself no matter what happens. It is the same approach for a first time meditator or a 60 year adept: conscious awareness with equanimity.

The 8path is about what is 'right', so mindfulness incorporates 'right observation' (see it 'as it is'), and 'right concentration' (awareness with equanimity).

A very nice thread on metta and sharing our thoughts...

I liked this discussion on cravings & the "3 cravings" from sky123 (a bit like the more elaborate "7 deadly sins", which are actually just finer grades of cravings).

I have meditated and done lucid meditations, some guided, daily for many years now.

Night before last I had a dream and it became lucid part-way through. I was experiencing it "live" and couldn't see myself, but I wanted to be fully present in it and so I went with it. I was darting out ahead of the superfast passenger transport with another small child...seemed just car or so at a time...white and shiny, mag lev-type stuff in some other time and place, not exactly this one but one I knew well...it was dusk and then getting dark. We knew the route...I ran ahead across the small tracks and nervously waited for him to come quick...said "back" several times as it came round blind corners. Running barefoot in the wet grass...little maniacs we were. Then dropping into a window after dark more than 2 floors ups, probably 3...wet shirts and shoes left in a puddle...into a room for bath where an older boy pretended not to see us sneak into the bath in our shorts.

As the dream snip ended, I took hold at the end and brought us to my meditation place, where I could "see" all round. We were young boys of eight or so, laughing with the sheer joy of being small and free and having snuck out under the radar with your best mate. We looked just alike -- it was my twin brother with me. From another life.

The sense of sheer joy has stayed with me since then. I find myself craving that freedom and that acceptance and that joy...full disclosure. This simple love and friendship and at-one-ness. And not just for myself in this time, but for all beings in all times.

I wish for all beings this simple joy, love, and friendship.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke