View Single Post
Old 18-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightoflenity
Religion should be like Judo dojos - you can teach your own style

It's only the same as Judaism/Christianity/Islam (sunni,shia,wahabi)/ Baptist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran Churches/Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses/Catholics/Baptist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran Churches.

Who founded those? We'd probably say the same to them - why can't someone do it in modern times?

There is nothing against it. However there should be, for the same reason people don't walk into a hospital and begin operating on patients without experience and knowledge. Serious damage can be done to both people. This guy could be leading himself down a path that will drop off very rapidly in 3-6 months and leave him reeling for the next 10 years.

the "I hurt someone I was trying my very best to help" trauma is a DEEP pain and it doesn't come out easily. Encouraging this person to charge blindly ahead can potentially lead them to experience it. Not to mention the damage they can potentially do to others. Having good intentions isn't enough, it takes more than that to lead people spiritually. And when it comes to the human mind and spirituality... it's just that it's basically the most difficult thing human beings do. It's not something we should jump into because we had a feeling or a craving, or because we have been around it all our lives. It takes a massive amount of dedication, discipline, practice, knowledge, wisdom, etc etc, it takes a lot to do it right. And that lot includes certain life experiences as well as internal attributes like honor, honesty, courage, etc. Sure we can have the attributes from youth, but many of the experiences don't come until mid 30's and early 40's.

Encouraging everybody to teach their own religion is selfish and foolish.

The truth is not everyone is worthy. We all have the potential, that is to say we all are worthy deep down at the most absolute level, but that is not enough merit to justify the position of spiritual leader. The most cold blooded killers are worthy deep down, they are God at some level, however we all know what happens when they preach. It becomes a cult. It's the far end of the spectrum, sure, however we can reason that infinite variations exist from the cold blooded to the most saintly. From this example we can say "yes everyone has potential, but not everyone is worthy to lead".

That's not to say that only saints should lead. But to be honest, the best people would be led by saints. The people who are still lost in their troubles will seek a troubled leader. As a troubled person, how are they going to react when they are surrounded by troubled people? Are their problems going to suddenly vanish? or get bigger? Nobody knows to be honest, there is so much variation based on individual experiences, however its playing with fire if you ask me.

It's like saying "only saints will be able to preach a religion that will catch on and become a widespread force for spreading love and positivity". Everybody else will fall short and probably give up quickly, or possibly resort to underhanded tactics to keep followers like manipulation or deceit. Fall short in being able to achieve the goal of raising consciousness worldwide.

If the goal is to simply orate our beliefs to people who will listen, well that's not really a goal. That is giving up a goal and settling for what we can easily achieve.