View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Master

Well, you probably don't remember, but when Elvis was first starting out, he "rocked" his hips. Parents were horrified that their youngsters were subjected to such sexuality - went he went on TV on the Ed Sullivan show, they tried only to film him from the waist up!

When the Beatles came to town, parents were horrified that their youngsters were falling in love immediately with these hoodlums with long hippee hair (that still cracks me up). If you listen to the later Beatles, they are very mystical in their lyrics.

When my son was in a band in high school, they had a Battle of the Bands. I was amused by the "headbangers". I had never seen such a thing. The long, long hair and the waving around of the heads. I seriously cracked up while they were playing. I had just never been subjected to that type of music before and it was very funny to me :). There was another group that did the, I call, RaRa music, which I think is what you call Heavy Metal. What I found fascinating was the music part of their songs was very awesome. I just couldn't understand the words because they were screamed in a very distorted version of language.

My husband loves all kinds of music. Therefore my children love all kinds of music. I don't. I never have. I love the Carpenters, especially at Christmas. I love happy music. But I have always been that way, even before I became spiritual. I have tried to expand what I like, and I have somewhat, but there is still music that just calls to me.

So, long story short, music appreciation is different for everybody. If my husband had to listen to the Carpenters for 2 hours, he would not be a happy camper.

It is a good subject to bring up, because music can be very inclusive or exclusive, and there is still that judgement about it, isn't there? But I think it's just a personal choice. Since music is a vibration, and we are all vibrating, we like different vibrations. That's about it. There is no good or bad music, it is in the eye of the beholder. I try to keep an open mind when my son shows me a band, because he loves all kinds of music like his Dad. But honestly, it's like chalk on a blackboard to me, some of it. Some of it is very musical, but I can't understand the words, and that is very frustrating to me. I want to be able to hear the words, because I like to be carried away by the music, so it is very annoying to me that I can't understand the words.

My opinion is everyone likes different music, but that is why there is so many kinds of different music, because there is so much diversity in humans.

I don't think that's an accident. How boring would it be if we were all the same?

People can change. I remember when tatoos were starting to become the thing, and I was horrified that all these young people were scarring their bodies for life. What were they thinking? And putting holes in their noses, and brows, etc. But then my son started bringing them home, and I realized it was like any other generational thing. People like to fit in with their crowd when they are young adults. It just is.

Now I see someone tatted up, with holes in their faces, and I don't bat an eye. My bosses are all tatted up, and I didn't even realize they were until they pointed out one of their tatoos and I realized he had a sleeve of tats.

Don't judge your elders too harshly. They are just coming from a different world.

Whatever music fills your soul with good vibes, that's what you should listen to, whatever the vibe is.

Oh, I forgot to mention spirituality. That's because music is spiritual for everyone, and everyone is different, and music really doesn't have anything to do with spirituality. You are correct, I think it is more about personal judgement and that is how are you vibrating? Some vibrations just can't handle certain songs (me included). Doesn't mean I am judging the artists, it just means I want to hear the words LOL.

I have never heard of dance spirituality. I would choose a group that is more suited to your tastes.