View Single Post
Old 15-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestShadeofGrey
I'm not sure how much I can help with this, but I will say this. Have you heard of the Greek legend of Narcissus, the Greek hunter who began to fixate on himself so much he found a pool that reflected himself and he practically killed himself over it, there is another version however, that says the gods began to echo his thoughts back to him which eventually drove him insane.

I too was abused as a child, and I had no idea what it really meant to be Narcissistic. I always considered it something negative.

It really does feel like that however, like every time you think your thoughts begin to echo back and forth. The trauma does that - but the thing about an echo is that you can't quite make sense of it after it fades away - that, and you have to realize that they may be echoing off of something negative coming from within. The more it grows farther the more of chance you might mistake the echo for something else. This is why they become fixated on themselves, because they begin to echo the pain, the feelings they had and everything else back on themselves. This eventually brings depression, bad moods, anger and many other things to surface from their psyche because their minds are trying to let go - but can't thanks to this echoing of their own pains and problems.

I don't know what to do to help, fixating on one's self is neither a bad thing or a good thing, not until it becomes unhealthy and obsessive -but if it is unhealthy in his situation I would try to act as mature as possible and simply reflect his own decisions and mind-state back at him inmore subtle means...

I don't know how to put it... but...

Hmmmm...

WOW. This was SO insightful! I'd never seen it like this before! Thank you so much. This makes so much sense.

He has a false mirror in his mind made up of all the trauma and he's basically feeding off of it.. so the idea is to portray that mirror but externally and in a healthier manner so he can see how he really is in comparison to others? I think that's what you mean?

My mother has done this a couple of times to him, for example: She would interrupt him the way he always does with her and then when he got frustrated she would point out that's what he does and then he would get really quiet and walk away, almost as if he was a little shocked. Is this what you mean? Because it would certainly explain his reaction.