Thread: Theosophy
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Suspended
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The Masters came about later. The person who was conducting the lecture on Elementals presented such interesting information that some in the group decided to create their own organization the Theosophical Society.

Olcott was the Society's president.

The Brothers were always there. The use of terms Masters or Mahatmas for them came about when Olcott & HPB moved to India.

Even before George Felt's lecture in Sept. of 1875 HPB received this order from her Master in July:

Quote:
[In H.P.B.’s Scrapbook, Vol. I, p. 58, may be found at the bottom of the page the following important note written by H.P.B. in pen and ink:] Orders received from India direct to establish a philosophico-religious Society and choose a name for it—also to choose Olcott. July 1875.

Then, around the end of August, discussion about starting this Society occurred:

Quote:
Between Aug. 28 and Sept. 4—Gathering held in H.P.B.'s rooms, 46 Irving Place, New York. In H.P.B.'s own words: “On that evening the first idea of the Theos. Society was discussed.” (Vide Rev. Dr. J. H. Wiggin's account, The Liberal Christian, Sept. 4, 1875; H.P.B.'s comments in Scrapbook, Vol. I, pp. 54-55; ODL, I, 114-15).

From HPB's Collected Writings, vol. I:180 & 66