View Single Post
Old 13-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Guide

The night my great grandfather died

This happened the night my great grandfather died & was one of the most scariest experiences I have ever had.

My great grandfather was a good man. He was married to my great grandmother for 65 years, served in WWII, & helped raise all his grand & great grandchildren.

My mom took me out of state & moved me to Texas....4 states away from my immediate family, where my great grandparents had retired to live on a lake. She was in her late 20s & was having a hard time, so my great grandparents took me to live with them. I was very close to my great grandfather. We spent every evening watching Wheel Of Fortune & Dynasty, Dallas, ect. He would take me on trips with him to his lake house (they had two houses) cook for me, play horse shoes, & was always talking to me about life. He was very protective of me, I was only 5/6 years old.

My mom, at the age of 7...took me back to live with my immediate family. My dad raised me after that...and I had lost all contact with my great grandfather for the next 25 years & most of my mom's side of the family...even my mom.

When I was in my late 20s, I was married, with kids of my own. We lived way out into the country, on a dead end road. It took 15 or more minutes to get into town just to get gas or groceries. We lived far out in the sticks, in the Shawnee National Forest. There was nothing around us.

I was watching t.v. one night (we had a sectional) and my husband fell asleep, then soon after I started to fall asleep. I turned off the t.v. & laid my head down. I had my eyes closed no more than a second, & I was not on my couch anymore....I was standing infront of a stone church in the bright daytime sun. People were dressed in black around me, walking into the church. They weren't looking at me or noticed me there. This scared me, because I didn't understand this...I didn't have time to fall asleep, & what is this? Then the bell at the top of the church started go go off....like the Catholic kneel.

Im not Catholic, at this time...I did not live in a Catholic community, either. I had never heard of the Catholic kneel before this.

This scared me & I jerked myself up, heart pounding...looking around the dark in my living room. I thought to myself, "Okay, that must have been a dream...thank God"

No sooner had that thought passed, that same bell went off into my living room....LOUD. I jumped off my couch to the other side of the sectional & shook my husband awake. GET UP! The bell would ring 3 times, take a small break, then ring again...it was so loud that I could not get a complete sentence out, because I couldn't hear myself talk. My hearing was overcome by this bell. My husband had turned on the lamp & looking at me with this look of confusion & worry. I could see his lips moving, but could not hear him....only parts of his words, because this bell would start going off again. It became obvious, that I was the only one who could hear it.

I was terrified & panicked. He had ahold of my arms, I was holding onto his...looking around the ceiling & room, trying to find out where this bell was coming from. When I saw his facial expressions & I realized he wasn't hearing this, only I was....I started to cry because I didn't know what was going on. I just kept saying, "Can you hear that...Can't you hear that?"

This went on for a few minutes, by the end of it...I was a mess. My husband wrapped a blanket around me (he thought I had cracked up & was going to take me to the hospital) but instead...laid me between him & the couch...I was still crying & telling him...somebody is going to die. I just kept repeating it...not realizing what I was really saying.

He just held onto me, hoping this would pass...and it did. Within 15 minutes or less, we both had fallen asleep. I don't know how...but we did.

He got up early, around 5 a.m that morning to go to work. My kids got up & left for school. I briefly thought of it that morning, and pushed the thought away. I didnt know what happened, I didnt want to know...the thought, terrified me.

I left that day to visit a historic area along the Mississippi river, to get away for the day. This place always made me feel calm...and it did. On my way back home, my dad called me on my cell phone.

He said, your family is coming up from Texas, all of them. I said, why? He said, your great grandpa died last night, they are bringing him up for burial & having his funeral here. (grandpa grew up here, before moving to Texas)

I went to grandpa's funeral later that week & found out...that I wasnt the only this happened to....my uncle, his youngest son...also had it happen to him.

I don't know why this happened in the form of a Catholic kneel...or where it came from...if it was from God or my grandpa...but it did & it was very scarey. lol...I don't ever want to be notified again that way.

If you can imagine what it is like to stand under a church when the bell goes off in town...how loud it is...you can get an idea of what was going on in my living room that night...not a good way to say good bye. I know my grandpa would never try to scare me, he wasn't that kind of person.