View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 AM
rebtevye

What makes you think that the Ego survives?

There have been many case studies of patients that have lost their Memory, personalities, Emotions, Abilities etc..

I myself have experianced a short period of time where i was self aware, but my memory was taken away to the extent that i did not even know that i was a human being, because i knew of no past to make a comparison.

It might be audacious for me to say this, But i think that it is a likely scenerio that the conciousness that one experiances, or rather the personality that has given values to the perceptions, comes from multiple processes in the mind.

It is also my conjecture that self awareness comes from the logic & order that the mind makes out of chaos & randomness.

If i were to suggest an example, I would direct attention to the fact that, The "SELF" as one would call it, becomes completely arbitrary when one is dreaming.

Lucid dreaming is merely a small moment during the sleep cycle, where the mind has made some sense out of the random chaos & is able to make a comparison of the world outside.

It is even more disturbing that during the larger portion of the sleep cycle, there is no memory of being self aware.

It is my opinion that the ego does not survive,
However, The nature of this question has much room for debate.