View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
''The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively''

Please point me out which of the Vedas speak about twin flames being ''split into two complete souls.'' Where can I find this?
I'd like to see ancient sources that speak about the twin flame concept. New interpretations and additions of 20th century spiritualists won't do, as they are influenced by their own time and cultural beliefs. The Zohar speaks about different parts of the human soul, but not about twin flames, or a split. Besides that, the 'parts' of the human soul as described in the Kabbalah and Zohar relate also to earthly qualities like instincts and morals. Quite different from the idea of an independent, non-physical soul most of us believe in.
Which ''mystical texts''?
Which is why we discuss it.

Cheers.

The Zohar does speak of it. I don't think you'll find the label "twin flames" anywhere, LOL...but you find the concept explained quite well. Adam Kadmon was originally male and female, back to back, and Eve was taken from the [back] of Adam. Commonly translated as "rib". At this point, the two souls were housed in their respective physical shells, so that Adam wouldn't be alone.

I think you can read many texts by Rumi, Hafiz, and other Sufi masters and find a parallel...I have, although these are typically collected writing and are "lumped" together under "Rumi's collected writings", LOL...and similar. It is a simple fact that the more esoteric Sufi works are harder to find in translation and are more closely guarded...this is in part a reflection of the climate in which they find themselves, as they are already considered "fringe" in Islam.

Similar to the Zohar (strikingly, LOL...), many of the Sufis' more esoteric works describe what we call twin souls as sister souls, which was simply their term of choice to evade the harshest critique of their often erotic description of the love between God and man (sic), which is also mirrored "below" in the human love of two souls connected by God at the origin. The purpose is to fully realise the divine in each of us through our love for the other...and then extend that outward in the form of universal compassion.

The Vedic texts...there are so many. This is the earliest wide-scale dissemination of the hermetic teachings of antiquity...the same themes we see in the hermeticism of ancient Egypt and the Near East. They are not all in the Bhagavad Gita or the Upanishads. Techically much of the esoteric teachings on twin souls is contained in the Tantrika Parampara, or the 92 sacred tantric texts. There are said to be parallel teachings in the Buddhist Vajrayana tantric tradition, but they are closely guarded so as not to be misused or misinterpreted.

Just very quickly, the traditions of Hinduism brought forth teachings that echo the Hermetic philosophy and the key mystical concepts of OM TAT SAT OM or I AM THAT I AM, and the Hindu Trinity - of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva and their counterparts the Mother Goddesses. Hinduism teaches that Avatars incarnate the Essence of this trinity and bring teachings for each culture, place and time. Hinduism also taught the sacredness of the Divine Masculine and Divine Feminine polarities of the Godhead, which are reflected in the divine union "below" of male and female twin souls.

Typically esoteric teachings are revealed by a teacher or a guru when the student is ready, and additionally many call for a different level or type of translation or reading of standard texts, in order to reveal the esoteric truths. You will typically only get a "taste" or high-level summary of these teachings translated into English. However, if you see that there is a call to grow and to serve in the love and union of twin souls that is stressed in all of these various traditions, you are correct.

Peace,
7L