View Single Post
Old 30-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Big cudos from me as well. I went down traditional and alternative paths in order to handle depression after a trauma and quite frankly most of what is on offer is a placebo at best by supposive proffessionals. They are flying blind as every person has different issues and yet they are keen to invalidate other non traditional areas of help.
It really does come back to 'you are your best doctor'.

Disagree.

A medic can inform a person of what medication is suited to them, but doesn't force them to take it. Sometime medication is very effective, and in cases where there's a risk of suicide, life saving.

Alternatives are there. A person can see a properly trained psychologist, and on the whole, these professionals are very attuned to individual needs, and benefit their clients greatly.

The strata below that, counseling is an option, and again these professionals are very effective, but greater risk, because basically, anyone can call themselves a counselor... so check they are acredited.

The we come to the spiritual healing, which is completely unregulated, and rife with rip offs and frauds, and often they fill people's heads with really wild ideas and make matters worse.

On this forum, even though there are rules to protect members, people parade as qualified healers, but I can see, by their conduct, the maltreatment which occurs... quack quack