View Single Post
Old 13-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I would say you have uncovered something which some might not want to talk about because it tramples on precious belief system grounds. For example, Jesus fasting for 40 days: his "spiritual experience" during that ordeal must have been very unique.
And it's not just a 40 day fast, even something as common as a vitamin D deficiency can lead to brain issues. This is why I'm really interested in super healthy people having these sort of experiences, because that excludes at least some purely physiological explanations. It worries me as forceful health decline is such a big thing throughout history, seeking experiences through methods that cause lack of health.

I think if a middle way means porridge and a banana a day then it's not extreme asceticism but it's still inadequate. If you were to follow this for years you develop health issues. I'd be interested in super healthy people, champions of life, of a sort, to have these kind of experiences. Say a fit king or leader instead of the fasting priest or skinny shaman..