View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
I do agree that Jesus was different and to me he turned the Wheel much like the Buddha did.

The concept of Jesus as a middle man goes completely against what Jesus taught. Did Jesus not say that he was one with the Father? Where is the middle in that?

From the bible:
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

1Timothy 2.5 “For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.”

This idea that the way is via Jesus can seem irrelevant and unnecessary, I used to think so too. When I was in complete darkness without any means to create light, it very soon becomes useless to keep trying on my own, and very easy to say 'Jesus please give me light'. When light actually started to grow immediately after, how can I ignore that Jesus was the apparent cause of this light? Thus I am a Christian.

It might be easier for people who are in the dark, or in deep trouble, to accept Jesus as the way, because they know very well that they aren't doing so well on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Also, do you know a lot of people who experience the light and are taken into God's presence?

No, not many at all, it is rare. It seems St Seraphim was very conversant with God, he's the best example I can think of:

Quote:
"Father," answered Motovilov, "how can I see the grace of the Holy Spirit? How can I know if He is with me or not?"

St. Seraphim began to give him examples from the lives of the saints and apostles, but Motovilov still did not understand. The elder then firmly took him by the shoulder and said to him, "We are both now, my dear fellow, in the Holy Spirit." It was as if Motovilov's eyes had been opened, for he saw that the face of the elder was brighter than the sun. In his heart Motovilov felt joy and peace, in his body a warmth as if it were summer, and a fragrance began to spread around them. Motovilov was terrified by the unusual change, but especially by the fact that the face of the starets shone like the sun. But St. Seraphim said to him, "Do not fear, dear fellow. You would not even be able to see me if you yourself were not in the fullness of the Holy Spirit. Thank the Lord for His mercy toward us."

Thus Motovilov understood, in mind and heart, what the descent of the Holy Spirit and His transfiguration of a person meant.
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Seraphim_of_Sarov