View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwhistle
I am angry, feel bad for him and at the same time weirdly detached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwhistle
My lesson in this is detachment with love, not indifference. It's hard. To be able to walk the middle ground between life's ups and downs...to not be affected...how do people do this?

It wouldn't surprise me if you have a better idea about this than me, but I'll have a go.

Below is a quote I like with regard to detachment as I feel the term is often misconceived as a state of indifference, albeit the difference would appear to be quite subtle.

"Detachment is a state, it is not a totalisation of achieved indifferences. - Fingers Pointing Toward the Moon by Wei Wu Wei"

I think identification is a key factor. Generally speaking I believe we have a tendency to identify with our thoughts to too greater an extent. In the absence of any definable 'self' it may be possible to view situations as occurring, yet not necessarily happening to me as it were. Perhaps then the feelings that normally arise and become identified with as a result of an experience, may be detached from to an extent by merely noticing them as they arise. This in turn may result in a lesser degree of turmoil.

I can understand why the scenario might sound like the cultivation of indifference therefore a dilution of experience, but from my own experience what results is a simultaneous increase in clarity and lessening of suffering or negative feelings of dissatisfaction.

Not sure if this makes any sense.