Thread: Suicide
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Master

I've been trying to date that lifetime. I'm not sure if the bucket was galvanized or not but thinking it probably was by the look unless was made from plated steel?.. the bucket wasn't rusting at all but did look oldish, it certainly wasn't bright and shiny. It was the exact shape of the one I linked.

Apparently galvanized metal use had become common by the second half of 19th century. I'm guess the part of the lifetime I saw was late 1800s to mid 1900s. (though I keep thinking it was earlier then the 1950s.. I feel like it was 1930s or before.. late 1800s). (I may of had one lifetime since that one I suicided in then.. I had a very vivid dream of being in a world war, in the trenches as a man with a mate which quite affected me, I think I died in the trenches). Looks like I may of died youngish twice in a row there from different causes.

Quote:
History of Galvanising

The recorded history of Galvanising goes back to 1742 when a French chemist named P.J. Malouin, in a presentation to the French Royal Academy, described a method of coating iron by dipping it in molten zinc. In 1836, Stanilaus Tranquille Modeste Sorel, another French chemist, obtained a patent for a means of coating iron with zinc, after first cleaning it with 9% sulfuric acid and fluxing it with ammonium chloride. A British patent for a similar process was granted in 1837. By 1850, the British Galvanising industry was using 10,000 tons of zinc a year for the protection of steel.

I think I should probably try to check out that lifetime and see if I can learn anything from it and what went wrong and why I did as I did. So far I've avoided trying to do so.

Sheet metal though has been around longer

Quote:
History of sheet steel

Most buildings incorporate sheet steel in some form, such as roofing, window ledges or fittings on chimneys. Even today, these are made by traditional handicraft methods.
Sheet steel is a convenient material that offers great opportunities. The benefits are that it can be used to produce lightweight components and it is easy to form both for roofing and for roof gutters, drain pipes, etc.

Sheet metal roofing was used back in the 16th and 17th centuries, although to a limited extent.