View Single Post
Old 15-12-2017, 01:58 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by django
I think there's a fine line between someone who genuinely has something that needs to be shared about spirituality and someone who just wants their opinion to be dominant.

Submitting to someone elses idea of what is right without thoroughly examining the basis of their teaching seems inherently wrong to me, I admire the Buddha saying to examine what he taught to see if it was true, not just to accept it, slavish acceptance is what the Christians and the muslims demand, I suspect Buddhists don't require slavish acceptance.

Still we do need some sort of guidance. As far as I can see ideally we would come to be guided from within, but that's a lot trickier to set up than just blindly submitting to a dominant spiritual opinion.

I think it's important to remember that nobody is 100% right about everything, all the time. The truth has layers and layers and everyone is digging through at their own pace, if they are digging at all. I examine everything I hear against what I have experienced and if it doesn't seem to coincide with what I have experienced, I do not just buy into it no matter who said it.
A lot of people that are putting their opinions out there are relatively new to spirituality and are on one layer, which is a fine teaching for someone else on that layer, but may not be in depth enough for someone else.
I really like that idea from Buddha and probably why I'm so attracted to Buddhism. That's how I live my life now anyway.