Thread: how do we sit.
View Single Post
Old 26-02-2019, 12:35 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
As we meditate we increase the flow of prana (chi, Qi Ki its all the same energy) around the body. The purpose of the lotus and half lotus is to create energy locks that allow the energy to flow inside the human being rather than flow out of it, thus making the best use of the energy created in the meditation. These locks are things like putting the tongue to the roof of the mouth and crossing the legs. Those who use the half lotus and lotus also form their hands into various mudras (formal hand positions), these allow the exponent to direct most of the chi inwards but also to allow any excess energy to flow out, to the earth or to heaven wherever they decide to send it. Keeping the spine straight also help this energy flow and maximizes the energy created in meditation.

Very good explanation, thanks. I have read that energy flows out of the extremities of the body (ie hands and feet) so the use of locks and mudras keep the energy flowing within our system.

Rolling the tongue back to the roof of the mouth is khechari mudra. From a yoga website:

Kechari Mudra is considered the king among mudras. ... Kechari mudra is a yoga practice where the tongue is rolled up to touch the soft palate initially and then with due practice it is inserted into the nasal cavity behind the palette . This is an advanced practice and the yogi is said to overcome thirst, hunger, decay and death by this practice. For most people this needs prolonged effort. The tongue should be rolled up to touch the upper palate. Initially it may be able to touch only the hard palate. With practice, it can go further behind to touch the soft palate. Later touches the uvula at the back of the throat. With practice, the tongue can go beyond the uvula and enters the nasal cavity to stimulate certain points inside the cavity. This may take months or years of practice. Eventually the yogi is able to taste the nectar (or Amrit) which flows from the roof of the nasal cavity. This nectar energizes the body and helps to overcome the need for thirst and food.

It may feel strange at first but it does become comfortable and it aids concentration.

My preferred meditation position is the full lotus for as long as I can bear it, usually 45-60 minutes. When the physical discomfort interferes with my meditation then I relax in the half-lotus.

Peace.