View Single Post
Old 18-07-2019, 01:13 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
ketzer,

As much as I like Chesterton(I quote him frequently) I will use these words as words of caution. Words are fine if they are used in intellectual discussion. With the proper audience they can lead to a progression of discourse. In the absence of these guidelines they can lead to an elevation of hate and anger. This is to the benefit of no one. Current politics are a good example. I tell my wife no political signs in my front yard. It is guaranteed to gain the ire and disdain of 50% of those who view them. Suddenly you have neighbors that will no longer speak to you....:) My grandmother frequently quoted from Proverbs...."A soft word turneth away wrath". She had 9 children and peace in the family was of value to her...:)

Agreed, I don't actually know Chesterton, but I happen to have been looking for another quote and still had the page up when I read your post. More out of facetiousness than anything else, it seemed like the place to put it. Anyway, I don't do the political signs either. It seems to me that some individuals have a need to make a statement and are either willing or anxious to reap the repercussions and defend their view against the angry. This is fine, but I find I get tired of this sort of thing rather quickly these days.
Overall, I find that I feel less and less of a need to change the world and more of a need to understand myself. I am noticing more and more that the two are really the same. Perhaps it has something to do with becoming a fan of Everett's Many Worlds Theory, but more and more I find myself asking why am I here, rather then why are things the way they are. And again, the two questions seem to have the same answer. Is God particularly fierce, or am I just making God that way.