Thread: Advice sought
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
I recently got offered a contract which would appear pretty good. But it is sales related, and my heart is not in it.

Intellectually, I would be stupid not to take it. But...I'm not excited.

Anyone been in a similar situation, or have any advice?

I work as a freelancer in multimedia, often for outfits whose objectives I don't strictly approve (marketing, for example). So I have to sell (myself, as in my soul in the colloquial sense). Even though much of the work is hack - I have to subvert personal expression to the needs of a client - I get some satisfaction from it. Even when I play music for receptions or occasionally weddings I have to kowtow to the client.

But the bottom line is I have to survive. So I accept my lot. It does interfere with my spiritual leanings marginally but I have a degree of control, I like a challenge and think it's the best of all worlds. It balances.

The alternative would be to go on welfare, sleep rough on the streets or become a hermit of sorts like living at my parents' home at their expense.

So, contingent on how long the contract binds you, why not go for it? It can't last forever and if the rewards are good you can set aside some for rainy days, as they say.