View Single Post
Old 31-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Master

thespiritual1 - this isn't for you - I don't want you overreaching yourself.

I live in an Alpine country, a very beautiful country with mountains, valleys, rivers, lakes and dotted all over with farms, hamlets, villages, towns and a few cities. There were those times when I liked to go on foot into the high mountains - something I cannot now do being an old man - and then, thousands of metres above the lower landscape I'd find a place to sit and observe. Naturally there are those who do the same thing in deserts, forests, ice-fields, oceans and so on.
Once, and this is very rare in my country I sat myself down and looked around and saw to my surprise that although I could see for maybe 50 kilometres in all directions there was not one sign of human interference (if that's the right word).
There was only me and this remarkable vista.

From the very first time I read of Schrödinger's cat I have been fascinated by the thought that - as at the moment fully accepted by Quantum Theory - 'things' have to be observed to come into existence. This may indeed be the whole secret of life and hits me hard every morning when I awaken.

But there was only me and this remarkable vista.

Had I been a mountain goat or maybe a deer I'd have been too busy with other problems than observing or of being aware. But as I sat there the enormity of the privilege I was experiencing caused me to ponder. When I closed my eyes it all vanished, my other senses were still open, I could feel the ground beneath my backside, the breath of wind on my face, the smell of the grass and when I opened my eyes there was this magnificent vista.
Never forgotten - it was like being a god.

However my ponderings, before this experience as well as after, don't alter the fact that when I go to sleep at night where all my senses fall away that my observation facilities and accompanying attributes withdraw themselves into a state or condition or reality where the outside world ceases to exist.

Sleep is possibly a circumstance hovering just above death. Maybe where all that exists is you and I.