View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Quintessence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ching
What if you concoct your own system? I initially tried Divine by converting the binary results of throwing coins into letters but I didn't get anything intelligible out of it.

It's interesting you should ask that, because this is something I've done myself and it's among my favorite methods to use. I think when you develop your own divinatory system, it is important to make the principles behind it something that you already have an intimate understanding of. It also helps to have a strong knowledge of various systems of divination and their mechanics, so to speak. The system that you describe sounds workable depending on how you approach the methods. For example, instead of trying to obtain intelligible words, you could work with the symbolism of letters themselves. Lots of ways to refine it into something that works well, but it takes a bit of finesse to get it there.

Quote:
What if you use a system that is concocted by others? I tried to use something called the Oracle of Rama and I didn't think it worked very well.

If it were me, I'd start by examining the gut mechanics of the system and seeing if the problem is in the system itself or in my failure to use it properly. Not all divinatory methods are created equal, and some will work better for some questions than for others; experience and knowledge in the field can be an excellent guide.

What's the Oracle of Rama, out of curiosity? Is it a form of cartomancy or something else?

Quote:
What if your own judgement of a means of Divination is clouded by your own conditioning?

I don't think there's any way around that. You can't really get outside of yourself, ya know? Well, there are a couple ways around it: 1) Don't do divination yourself; have someone else do it for you, and 2) Don't pick the method yourself; have a teacher or someone else hand it to you. I'd say that if someone was truly concerned about one's judgement being clouded to do one of these two things.