View Single Post
Old 18-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Lorelyen

At last I got round to viewing this video and it does seem a very good introduction to this gospel. I found the text quite difficult to take in. The video rightly makes a thing of "verse 3" where the gnostic tone is revealed and which is why Constantine had it barred from the Bible (and tried to have every trace of these Apocryphal gospels destroyed).

The New Testament has to be seen in context - a highly edited document put together by Constantine. Though "decisions" about what to include were initially made at Nicene they were under Constantine's control - that's why he ordered 50 copies for proofing before it was distributed from the Church of Rome that he established.

He had seen the power of belief in God in his military travels before he became emperor and saw it as a means of control over an increasingly sprawling Roman empire with member states starting to break away. (History of the Decline and Fall.) The adoption of "Christianity" was one of many reforms he made.

It was important to portray God as the all-powerful; out there; watching, judging etc. Jesus was supposed to be the son of God, not a human so the Canonical gospels were chosen to support, nay, prove this. They gave the Roman Church this huge power to convince the ordinary person that its priests were nearer to God and were conferred with some god-like powers to control moral behaviour, and use fairly horrific means to enforce it.

So gospels like Thomas' and Mary Magdalene's had no place. They confirmed Jesus as an extremely wise human.

It always puzzled me why so few devout Christians never question why only the 4 Canonical gospels appear in the Bible when there were 12 disciples.