View Single Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoguy423
According to quantum de-coherence... the consciousness of the observer would actually cause the waves to all snap into one place which would result in showing the exact location of where the pebble entered the pond.
Decoherence says the opposite. Consciousness is not required and the collapse is only apparent.

Quote:
The pebbles would be the equivalent of an electron being fired one after the other at say... a tiny tiny dart board.... without looking at the dart board... it would just be statistical probabilities or where it would hit the dart board. You could model these probabilities as waves and interference patterns. E.g. single slit experiment.

I'm not sure what you really mean by looking for a standing wave? To me, I'd interpret this as the target pattern created by the pebbles over time.

Is this okay Hybrid?
yes. But how do we measure it.
First we have two options. . .
1. Using wave mechanics we can calculate the sum of all the ripples to see where a standing wave would occur. But this require a very complex calculation and we may not have the math for it.
2. Using wave equation, we can use statistics to predict where the standing wave would likely to appear. This is a more practical approach.

How do we confirm thru measurment if our prediction is correct?
Since we know already where and when in the pond a sw will likely to appear what we have to do is to take a camera and capture it in a picture frame. Why do we have to do that? Because we want a definitive answer of its location with exact coordinates.

Without freezing the standing wave in time, the sw will always be in the move, now you see it now you dont .iowto simply say its on then off is not an answer to the question where is it.

So the act of measurement or observation is akin to taking pictures of the standing wave.
We interfere to make exact measurments and thought it is us that created the standing wave measured