View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
There are no nutrients lacking in my vegan diet that requires anything from eggs. You don’t need it, you don’t need animal products, that is purely a myth. 

The only thing I have to take a supplement for is B12, but that’s not because B12 is inherently in meat. It’s produced by bacteria found in the soil and B12 is likewise added to animal feed because they don’t make it in their bodies.

If veganism was actually more 'natural' than all the people in poor countries shouldn't have nutritional deficiencies as they are less likely to eat animal food. Au contraire, these people will eat animal foods if given the chance. In animal foods there are a number of nutrients in far greater quantities than you'll find in plant foods, such as protein, calcium, and vitamin B12. We also need animal fat for optimal brain functioning. Supplements are not the same as real food, it's better to get nutrients directly from food. You are never going to convince me of veganism, Debrah, and this topic is about eggs (and keeping chickens) specifically so this also ain't the place to preach about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
What is black and white to me Altair, that you can’t seem to grasp, is that DELIBERATELY choosing a lifestyle that includes using (and thus abusing) any animals for my own purpose, is what I am against.

So do you Debrah. You buy and eat food, which deliberately harms wildlife whether you want to admit to that fact or not. Not putting animal foods in your body does not mean you do not contribute to animal suffering. The use of pesticides and poisoning and shooting of rodents, boars, geese etc. IS deliberate. It's not just a few critters here and there. You need to wake up to this reality.

Taken everything together - animal welfare, environment, human health - it is the best course of action to improve agriculture and make it more ecologically sound. Animals are still a necessary part of that.