View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched
While it is true that 'perspective' equates to a distortion, at the same time the function of perspective is to give context - to show the contrast of one perception from another. Without context, there can be no meaning - for without context, what meaning can anything have? Anything, related only to itself in a conceptual vacuum, is by definition meaningless.

I think perspective is very misunderstood. Is it Reality? I feel anything of any consequence does so by virtue of an innate reality, regardless of whatever semantic test Reality is locally defined by. Rather than condemn perspective, I have come to highly value it, with the caveat as Hybrid pointed out of understanding just what your perspective is actually showing you.

to get perspective on perspectives, I moved around enough to see from different viewpoints. For example in maths there are all sorts of mathematical systems that can all be used to describe the same thing.... if I don't know that and try a one descriptive system fits all mentality I invariably find one thing is harder to describe than another... but if I study enough that I can know to switch the descriptive system I use based on the one that is most aligned with the things I am trying to view everything becomes much easier to comprehend.

But I found I have to accept danger to my ego if I do that, deep down I wanna really be attached to the 'one true way' and defend it with my life.