View Single Post
Old 13-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Newbie ;)

If I am to speak in Islamic spiritual linguistics (which we call tassawuf), then zikr is a means to attaining the spiritual strength to aid in overcoming the bad self.

The bad self is usually about the bad qualities which we have within, such as malice, hatred, jealousy etc these are blameworthy qualities. And these blameworthy qualities are replaced with the praiseworthy such as generosity, humbleness and such etc

For this one needs a complete spiritual doctor (who we call a shaykh) that has mastered and know these spiritual phases. Just like a doctor prescribes medicine, the spiritual doctor prescribes certain zikr done with zikr way to overcome the spiritual diseases which are mentioned above. And also the spiritual doctor ensures that balance is maintained in these qualities.

These techniques of zikr have been systemised by the Shuyookh of the past who possessed deep Islamic knowledge and had the door of spiritual unveilings opened towards them.

For each person it differs what zikr is beneficial for the person. The foundation is based upon having the correct beliefs and fully conforming oneself towards the way of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Because by following the way of the Prophet (peace be upon him), it catalyses the spiritual growth and achieves the spiritual attraction.

Initially it starts from the Shaykh, goes towards the Prophet (peace be upon him) until one becomes very beloved to Allah rabul 'izza.

There are different forms of zikr as well, lisani, khafi, qalbi etc but it does not matters here. What matters in the point being stated is that different zikr is prescribed by Shuyookh and other things. Until to the point where the student reaches spiritual flight.

It is certainly not easy, and one more thing. The tassawuf/sufism we hear about musical or where one follows the tunes this is not the one which is traditional. It is rather following the nafs which is the opposite purpose of the whole science itself.

I do not want to go deeper in the dream realm, the angelic realm, then the spiritual unveilings and so forth. Because these things are not easily found in the books either, but it is a knowledge which has been being transferred from the heart to the heart. And it goes back to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). And not everyone has it, only some do in todays time.

There is the external knowledge of Islam, and then we have the internal knowledge. And this knowledge is so deep that it is ocean without shores.

But just not to go off topic, what the point I wanted to make was that 70,000 zikr of Kalima (La ilaha illallah) at times is given with certain technique by an expert shaykh. And it is usually the advanced level. But that does not means on should not do zikr, it is not the purpose of my post at all. I just wanted to show a brief outlook of what Islamic spirituality.

p.s. when I mention a shaykh it does not means the one who leads the prayer etc but I am taking it as a term in this context which I am trying to explain. And I do not mean to put any restriction in doing zikr etc certainly one should do it all the time as it is mentioned in a hadith which means is that to always keep the tongue busy with zikr. Because it is never void of blessings or rewards.