Thread: Blue Rays
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Summerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Hmm... because the ADHD label isn't nice, we just replace it with indigo/star/fairy/lightworker/rainbow etc. ? These labels will create all kinds of expectations in the child.
That's why you get these kids thinking they are here to bring some 'higher' message, of course inspired by the New Age beliefs of their parents.
It's brainwashing!

Not liking one label and replacing it with another one is not my cup of tea.

ADHD,BAD,ADD,ODD all carry negative connotations AND expectations from those dealing with the child , with caregivers and especially in school. Experiments have been done with school staff, telling them that "this child" is a known trouble maker with ADHD and ODD. When the teacher had interactions with "that child" her whole demeanor was altered; she treated him/her as a person who was an adversary. In fact, "the child" was an honor student with exemplary behavior. Now,Chrysaestos, this experiment has been repeated and duplicated and has always led to the same outcome. And an experiment proving just the opposite; when a teacher is introduced to a student who has ADHD and ODD , but is TOLD that this kid is a model student with very good grades,her attitude actually encourages the positive behavior expectations from the child.
If the connotations is a more positive based label that is encouraging to the child and to the parents, what is exactly YOUR problem with it? It is the decision of the parents or the individual to sort out. Are you saying that you would prefer to leave the negative labels in place( with all the negative baggage) rather than the artsy,more encouraging labels with the good baggage? I would much rather deal with a child from the base of knowledge of an indigo child than the base expectations of an ADHD child. The child learns to use those labels as an excuse for negative behaviors,"Oh, that is my ADHD; I can't help it." A child rased as an indigo would find a more positve,individualized manner to express their frustration.
What it all boils down to is not your approval or mine; but the parents are the ones best placed to choose.