View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Thanks BlueSky. My own experience is similar to yours. I tend to like to simply let myself and my mind be what they are, rather than attempt to 'manipulate' consciousness with effort and control. Ramana Maharshi said, 'The true state is effortless, and must be if it is the true state.' The book attempts to explain how this effortless, natural awareness can be discovered.

Sky, interesting that studies have shown that mindfulness can make some ill. It's possible that such physical reactions could be an ego defense mechanism against awareness, or against awareness of the unreality of our ego identity. That would seem to make sense. I don't believe mindfulness, or any particular spiritual practice, is right for everyone. In fact I feel that meditation and mindfulness could be harmful and even dangerous in some cases.

One size never fits all, we need to test things out and take what resonates, leave the rest for others

One thing I have noticed is that 99% of these so called ' teachers ' never warn people that their teachings can cause mental health problems for some, they magnify the benefits very seldom the negatives, obviously they want to sell their books/courses/retreats etc:

The only person that I have come across who has mentioned the negatives is HHDL, there could be more but I haven't noticed.