View Single Post
Old 18-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus
Most people call this a parable but I see no indication that this is correct. When Jesus told parables he told of something his hearers knew about from experience and then showed a spiritual meaning. In this account he went directly to something his audience knew nothing about.

The Old Testament speaks of all who die, whether they are good or bad, going to a place called Sheol that is located somewhere under the earth. In Greek this place is called Hades. The fact that the rich man could see and speak to Lazarus and Abraham shows they were all in the same place, just in different parts.

When Jesus paid for our sins by his death on the cross, it opened the way for the righteous to enter Paradise, in the third Heaven. Jesus told the criminal who repented that he would be there that same day. I think it is safe to assume that Abraham, Lazarus, and all the other righteous dead are now there as well.

There's any bible verse to back up your words? Same place, different parts? I have shown how the dead are in a state of sleep, they do not think, they do not work, they do nothing there, and then we have this story, the rich man and poor Lazaurs, that at first glance, contradicts the so many verses that talk about those who are dead that they are sleeping...

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going"