View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
What avail the voice wise & steady
If the listener is not ready?

This reminds me of a documented episode where Buddha was to give a sermon but kept the audience waiting because he said that while there were many who came to hear him, he would begin only when the one person open to listening arrives! Yes! He spoke later, for that one individual!

One listened. Many heard.
I think, 'wisdom' is the adept recognition and avail/use of opportunity.

Recognizing the wisdom of the above choice in the case of Buddha (that is assuming he was so clair-sentient that he knew that no one else (other than that individual) there would 'get' what he said), since I recognize myself not to to be completely clair-sentient, I also sometimes choose to act on the 'wisdom' implicit in:

"Behold, there went out a sower to sow: And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up. And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit. And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred. And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

I have also accepted the fact that, in any case, my less-than-absolutely-power-full powers of communication are limited by the fact (stated in Paul Simon's words in The Boxer) that: "Still a man hears [only] what he wants to hear, and disregards all the rest."