Thread: I can do it!
View Single Post
Old 15-10-2010, 05:03 AM
White Wolf

MoonWalker, firstly, welcome to the vegan club.

May I suggest to you that becoming a vegan really is as hard - or easy - as you make it. It's largely a matter of attitude.

I live in a small town, so there are no vegan restaurants / convenience foods available here, either. Do you have a garden and/or a good green grocer nearby? I'd recommend a good, basic vegan cookbook - unless you are really into cooking already. (I only cook because I like to eat from time to time, and the kitchen came with the house...)

Think of lots of fresh fruit and vegetables; grains, lentils, etc; rice, pasta; soy or almond or rice "milk" is available most places. I eat a lot of tofu. And I love coconut cream - which is actually very healthy for vegans as it is the only vegetable source of saturated fat, which humans need a little of for good health.

Check labels for milk and eggs! It's incredible how many products contain them! And I've seen canned vegetable soups made with beef or chicken stock. If you like mayonnaise, the low-fat types usually don't have eggs or milk in them.

Good luck.

White Wolf.