Thread: Ask A Vegan
View Single Post
Old 19-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
I agree that too much meat isn't healthy, but it's just another case of making a mountain out of a molehill. We humans are and WILL always be omnivores, nature designed us that way wether you like it or not. Humans have much shorter digestive systems than herbivores and don’t have the specialized organs to digest cellulose, the main fiber in plants. We've been eating meat for thousands of years, and blaming every new illness and health problems on eating meat makes no sense. Meat doesn’t raise your risk of cardiovascular disease or diabetes, the main reason for those false claims is that meat just happens to be high in saturated fat. And there are plenty of people who live 'healthy' as vegans but nonetheless catch some nasty illness or even get cancer anyway.

As I said, the consumption of meat has been happening since the dawn of civilisation so I have my doubts it will ever disappear. It's the same thing with smoking which is getting more and more boycotted while there are many people who will always keep smoking no matter under what circumstances. We simply won't accept any changes forcefully shoven down our throats by PETA hippies and grass eaters who think they can decide for us what we should and shouldn't eat.

What in the...??? Comparing those two things are just plain stupid... Kicking a dog downstairs for no reason is animal cruelty and not to mention, unnecessary while killing an animal (in a HUMANE way) for food at least serves a purpose... Tell me, can you not see the difference between the two or do you simply not WANT to see the difference because it's not right up your alley? I personally think it's the latter.

The mountain, in my opinion, is that we humans MUST EAT MEAT TO OBTAIN PROTEIN. Protein is present in plant foods, otherwise elephants and whale sharks and cattle could not get to the size they do.

Rather than debate point by point with you on our physiology (carnivore/omnivore/herbivore) I would hope that you would listen to a real expert, Dr. Sofia Oacha, discussing the differences in this very informative video. Only 10 minutes long, she touches on all the points that show us to be more closely resembling herbivores than omnivores and how it is important to nourish ourselves according to our biology, rather than traditional behaviour. (Do you have that kind of courage?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NsMiOMmCY

One thing she doesn’t touch on is why we don’t need to digest cellulose and that’s because the cellulose in our diets, assists in moving food through our digestive system with a view to protecting the walls from damage (cancer). http://science.jrank.org/pages/1335/...digestion.html

From the link:

‘…Although cellulose is indigestible by humans, it does form a part of the human diet in the form of plant foods. Small amounts of cellulose found in vegetables and fruits pass through the human digestive system intact. Cellulose is part of the material called "fiber" that dieticians and nutritionists have identified as useful in moving food through the digestive tract quickly and efficiently. Diets high in fiber are thought to lower the risk of colon cancer because fiber reduces the time that waste products stay in contact with the walls of the colon (the terminal part of the digestive tract).’

Justifying cruelty for any reason, including food, and particularly in light of your rather weak arguments, is a very strange ‘hook to hang your hat on’. It’s fairly obvious without straining my brain, to see why you do that.