View Single Post
Old 15-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
Dear wstein,debate perhaps is a strong words in Buddhism site .......but from my experiences , when I having " discussion" with so call " Master" , they give me no room to question them ........even there was a very-very well known " Master " ' Abbot"......told me to just to learn from him without any question just like him learning from his teacher .......

So if I use the word " debate" ...many prepared for a challenge on their views ......infact to me is never my intention to challeenge their view , is me challenging my view basing from their views....
Yeah, that teaching tradition seemed purposely to be a one way street. I rarely learn much when people ask me basic questions. However I still take the time to answer if the questioner seems sincere.

Keep in mind that people can feel challenged even if you are not intending to affect them in any way. Simply causing them to focus on something they have internal doubt or conflict is often seen as a challenge even if you were only addressing your own issues.

I have not 'debated' with any Buddhists masters. I have noticed when interacting with leaders and masters from other Eastern traditions that most of those 'teachers'/masters are actually very angry below (and not very far) the surface. Questioning or challenging them brings this out very quickly. Not sure the cause, just noting it.