Thread: Mistakes
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2019, 04:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
It comes to my attention very often how what I once criticised, didn’t understand etc. are things I too can or have done (will do?). It’s like I’m constantly being told of the mistakes I’ve made.

I get it. We are all One. We are all indivisible in our unity, in our similarities and differences. There but for the Grace of God, Go I.

And yet sometimes I just wish that I could stop receiving these messages.

Love

JL
Part of my own spiritual path and growth includes many helpings of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).

It does take a while between reading what is on the page (hearing the message), understanding what is on the page or being said and then letting it deeply sink in to the subconscious mind so that it becomes "second nature" and the previous behaviours which no longer serve becomes upgraded to a much better, functional "operating system".

I am forever saying "I should be doing this", or "I should not have done that"...however, "should", "could" and "must" are swear words in CBT. It becomes "I am not doing this, so either I do it or I do not do it" or "I have already done that so forget about it and move on".

There are also many irrational thought processes caused by conditioning and unrequited emotions leading to feelings of guilt, insufficiency, negativity and the erosion of self-worth.

Generalization, Catastrophizing, All-or-Nothing, let me see if I can find that list:
https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles...hinking-styles

In a way, my path is more of a psychospiritual one because it is much harder to try and think of something positive than negative and you will seem to have less positive thoughts than negative ones, so if you only focus on the positive thoughts, the "monkey mind" chatter will slow down naturally...all by itself.

Then, if one has a negative experience and tries to think of positive stuff, then all of a sudden, you are in the "drivers seat" in the role of the observer... mindfulness is brought into the present moment, into the NOW and you realise that you are having NO thoughts at all because you can't think of anything either positive, negative or neutral and bliss ensues thereafter.

I still have to "catch myself" a few times a day...but it is like an electric fan...the blades will still spin around for some time even after the power supply has been disconnected.