Thread: Observation
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The main thing is that we have the tools of awareness and attention already. These aren't things anyone can teach anyone else because they are endemic to 'a conscious being'.

How this is actually applied to the living experience brings up the issue of what it is to meditate. Not 'how to meditate', but 'what it is to observe'. This is has to do with noticing - as opposed to being distracted.

This isn't anything to do with knowledge, but it is everything to do with wisdom. The difference between knowledge and wisdom is not easy to articulate, but we know people who learn everything but are yet quite shallow in wisdom. An analogy is, you can read and learn all there is to know about swimming, but that doesn't get you wet.

One should understand that this topic, because it is not a knowledge base, has no rights and no wrongs. Right and wrong only apply to abstractions, and do not apply to awareness, attention and that which is noticed.

Knowledge, right and wrong, is only used to establish positions, and it is plain to see the personal accusation and assertions that arise from the dynamic between right and wrong, as people assert respective positions. All that is pure distraction, as attention falls into imaginary others and loses touch with 'what is going on with oneself'.

I in no way suggest what's going on with you need be fixed or corrected - on the contrary, I only suggest being aware as opposed to being distracted. We easily notice that the results of distraction breeds disharmony, which is all too evident in this world, and more importantly, in creating one's own suffering.

Its good sound awareness. I guess I am listening aware of your awareness relating in this case, so its not to hard to reflect and be aware of what your conveying..

What you listen with, will speak of itself listening and of course some people don't like drowning in others words and so end up flapping their arms about trying to save themselves from doing that. Makes me wonder what they might actually "listen too" and convey, if they do feel themselves drowning and the words start to become quite muffled and unclear..I guess we will never really know in most of these threads about suffering and "right, wrong" issues because most don't want to drown in others words that don't fit their world ....hehehe

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder