View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Ascender

Hello janielee.
I am plodding here.

The narrator in the story is aware that the ethos of the gathering has changed from being mutually respectful, mutually supportive and tolerant of diversity to becoming one of division, resentment and suspicion, and understands that this has happened because there are those present in the gathering who are actively working for this to be the case.
I think the narrator in the story will be looking for help of a nature which is able to convey that understanding to those who may not have had the opportunity or inclination to question either personal motivation/s for behaviour or the possible motivation/s of others.--In the hope that having such understanding will be considered to be of value when needing to make decisions concerning present and future association.
Logically speaking the narrator in the story would not, I think, be seeking help of a nature which is a contradiction to the initial ethos of the gathering.
Pilgrimage is seen in the story as the common cause, to which diversity of reason for doing so are of a personal relevance, but a relevance which surprises our pilgrims because though possibly centre stage in their individual minds, that relevance does not seem to diminish the value of the process of such shared pilgrimage. This realisation is carried over into the gathering--which is another shared process--which the introduction of purposeful, possibly crooked, and certainly diverting finger pointing in order to create divisions to then exploit seeks to destroy. --Unless the methodology and motivation of such finger pointing becomes more commonly understood.

pete