View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Master

Hi Dream Angel,

These links are for texts that may be helpful to your and others' inquiries, as I find they have been extremely useful in understanding this subject for myself.

The first link is for a chapter in Sri Aurobindo's The Synthesis of Yoga - Part I, Chapter 1, The Four Aids, which outlines the actual general means of spiritual progress. (1. truth, principles, 2. personal effort, 3. assistance of a guru, 4. time)

The aid of a guru, which is little understood in the West, is described in this chapter. It is found after the 2nd set of ***'s (page break) beginning with..."As the supreme..." He tells you exactly what the true guru in human form represents.

Sri Aurobindo explains the underlying basis of the guru phenomenon

Parts of this directly answer some of your questions, and greatly clarifies subsequent discussion on many points now appearing in this thread.

According to Sri Aurobindo - the authentic guru does 3 things:
1) they present the formal teaching
2) they are a living example as an embodiment of that teaching
3) they provide influence in their presence and/or by 'contact' with their 'consciousness'. This is the one that deals with the knotty intangibles of occult influence, and unseen dynamics that take place once a consecrated relationship has been established with an authentic guru. This is explained in the text near the end of the chapter.

Link to SF thread on the above cited book:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=30142

Another book that I recommend in this regard is Sri Chinmoy's
"The Master and the Disciple" on general principles and specific personal dynamics of the (authentic) guru-disciple relationship.

I hope this is helpful in clarifying what often seems to be misconception and misunderstanding on this subject.

~ J

Last edited by Jyotir : 10-07-2012 at 10:04 PM.