View Single Post
Old 20-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
First, time only applies to a tiny portion of reality. When I say there is more to reality than now, I am mostly referring to to parts out side of time, not so much to the 'past' and 'future'.

To get a better understanding about 'Where is the the past and the future', use 'here' as an analogy. You are standing on a road in a spot you refer to as 'here'. The rest of the road is still around at the same moment but as a human you don't have access to it. Sure perhaps you can remember being on different spots on the road you 'once' called 'here'. Likely you will be in other spots on the road you will 'then' call 'here'. But 'here' has no impact on the existence of the road, its only a spot you refer. The entire road exists independent of you or your label. If you happen to be near a hairpin in the road it might be possible to straddle the median and be in two spots on the road simultaneously. Still this has no implications on the presence of the entire road. 'Now' is exactly like 'here' but with one extra (time) dimension.

Its a different point which does not relate to the now point but out of interest are you saying it is possible (for a person lets say) to be in 2 places at once?

Yes its clearer to refer to NOW as the present moment is time. So by definition of the terms being used it would not be possible to be in a past or future moment in time. The former has gone and the latter isn't here (or now:) yet so the NOW is all there is left available to be in unless you have in mind somewhere else in time that is available that is not NOW.

Why do I get the feeling that you are about to suggest just that:)

Interesting exchange. Thanks.